Sunday, July 10, 2011

Book Review - Mary Kay Andrews

OMGOSH!!! How come none of you have told me about this writer!!! She is right up my alley! So far I've read 3 books and you'll have to put up with my brief review of each. Each story has a heroine in it (LOVE IT!)

Savannah Blues - This book takes place in the South, the main character is a junker, and there's a murder!!! It is the perfect mix of stuff I love! There's even a heart throb. One of the things I love about Mary Kay Andrews writing is that there's just enough detail to give you the picture, but not to much that you couldn't insert your own ideas of the "cute guy" in the story. Enough detail to paint the picture, but enough left out so that you can put in the details. I will say there were some phrases that just screamed Southern Bell in it. Hint - there is some content and language, but it doesn't go over the top. In this story the heroine goes from being a woman who's not had a lot of control over her life learning to take control and be a success. She kicks butt!

Savannah Breeze - Ok, this takes the characters from Savannah Blues and tells an new story from another female characters point of view. In this one the heroine is a strong independent woman who has everything taken away from her. She goes to get it all back and learns about love. Just know that the phrase "Hunky Monkey" is in here so that might give you an idea as to some of the content. I truly enjoyed this story. Part of it is taking this old run down motel on the beach and turning it into a dream destination. The whole time I was thinking, "I would LOVE to stay there!!!" Vintage furnishings, themed rooms like "Sea Glass", muffins with the manager in the mornings, and happy hour with the manager in the evenings. Little chairs on the porch. Dreamy! Our first night on vacation we pull up to the motel and I think "It's almost like the one in my book! (only Southwest instead of beach, but oh well)" My mom's room was almost exactly like I had described from the book to her earlier in the day. Our room had yet to be remodeled. It still was fun to know these places really do exist. Our last place to stay on vacation was an old motel that supposedly had recently been remodeled. they missed a few things in the "remodel". At least it had a fresh coat of paint. I do think the paper towel spit wads pasted to the wall behind the head board was an ingenious idea. I'm sure the neighbors appreciated it. It would have been nicer if it had been cleaned up before we arrived though. I digress....

Then I read a book that is all new characters and setting, Little Bitty Lies. The main character in this book is a teacher on summer break. She has a senior in private school, and her husband abandons them after stealing all their money. She is so resourceful! I love how she keeps her priorities straight even though her means to the end result may be questionable. She lives in the suburbs where everyone knows everyone elses business and gossips about it. It was fun to get a glimpse into all the homes around her as you read along. Then there's the whole run to Mexico to stage a death thing.... A good read.

So what's on my reading agenda next? I'm thinking about reading Leaping Beauty by Gregory Maguire and then American Thighs: The Sweet Potato Queen's Guide to Preserving your Assets by Jill Connor Browne. I hope to read a it before school starts again - can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. It makes me so happy! I'm not a widely read blog so I always wonder if anyone is reading or if I'm just talking to myself.