Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sisterhood of Scouts


This was the letter I put in this month's troop newsletter. I just wanted to share.
 
This first week of summer I have had the amazing experience of seeing the true sisterhood of scouts through the eyes of my daughter. A has spent the week at Girl Scout Camp at Zilker Park.
There were a few things that could have made this experience miserable. The first being her concern – no one from her troop would be with her. Then there was the whole not receiving the welcome packet telling us what was needed each day or even where to drop her off.
As each day progressed A shared stories about her adventures. I expected to hear about all the cool things they did or saw. Some of the games they played, or songs they sang. I didn’t hear about those things even when I asked her directly. Instead I heard about the other girls at camp. Huge shout out to Twiggy, Pooh Bear, Book Worm, and Peanut! They really made an influence on my daughter. They took care of her and told her what she needed for the next day. There was even another girl there who was not so nice. A didn’t tell me about her until Thursday evening. A talked about how she didn’t want to tattle on this girl because she wanted the girl to be a Girl Scout Sister. A yearned for this girl to be a true example of a Girl Scout so that they could be connected in this special bond. We talked a lot about how it hurts when our Girl Scout Sisters are mean to us. Then we talked about how important it is for us to ask for help when needed. One of the things A was missing is that this girl is learning the Girl Scout Law just as she is, and that tattling is more than just tattling. One it’s a way to protect herself from harm, and to protect her friends, but also a way for those troop leaders to help this young lady learn about the law and live it. See A was so caught in “Be a sister to every Girl Scout” that she neglected to protect herself.
Later in the week we attended the Bridging ceremonies for some of the older girls in our service unit. At first I was thinking it would have been better to stay home and sleep (apparently Girl Scout Camp takes it out of you). Then I watched as our Daisy’s looked over that creek to the big girls. They stood on the bank as far as I would let them stand and watched as each girl crossed the bridge. They were quiet and still. They had a sense of pride that the big girls had earned an award, made an achievement, and were being recognized for their sisterhood. They felt like they were part of something amazing. They imagined themselves crossing the bridge and dodging golf carts. They celebrated the journey they are on. When the ceremony was over they went over to the big girls and hung out. It looked like a HUGE group of sisters, covered in silly string of course.
I look toward the future and I see the relationships that A is forming with the Daisy’s, the Brownies, the Junior’s,  the Cadet’s, the Seniors, the Ambassadors, and Girl Scouts only identified by the clothes they wear or actions they take. I am amazed at this sisterhood, this bond, this unity, and know that she will always have someone because she’s a Girl Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. It makes me so happy! I'm not a widely read blog so I always wonder if anyone is reading or if I'm just talking to myself.